Friday, February 25, 2011

Zuckerbergermeister

Okay, so the title makes no sense; it's my attempt to tie in Mark Zuckerberg's name with the tiny bit of German I know (and have probably spelled wrong). But after seeing "The Social Network," Zuckerberg keeps popping up in conversation between my roommates and I. And in honor of it being nominated for an Academy Award, I've decided to write about it.

It's a good movie - better than I was expecting. I was afraid it was going to be one of those "This is the greatest piece of technology ever made and we must worship it!" kinds of things. But it was more critical than that. Yeah, it didn't talk about how Facebook is kind of addicting and could possibly ruining our forms of communication. But the creation of Facebook (as told by the screenwriters, of course) was pretty sweet. Jesse Eisenberg's Zuckerberg was an interesting, complicated character and (though he may be more fiction than fact) I feel like it was a unique way to express someone who's become a billionaire and Time's Person of the Year all within a few years. And it makes me realize just how prevalent Facebook is. Like I ate a Lean Pocket for dinner yesterday (because the stove was being temperamental - screw you, stove!) and there was a little icon on the envelope advertising to go on line and "follow" Lean Pockets on Facebook. Wow... Just wow.

However, the after-effects of seeing "The Social Network" has been a bit weird. None of my roommates and I can log on now without feeling odd... sort of bad, in a way. Like I'm screwing over Eduardo or something. My roommate, [mind ninja], had a weird combination of the movie "Surrogates" with Zuckerberg trying to take over the world. And yet, I'm still logging on to Facebook everyday. What the hell does this mean? I don't know... I still don't know how to feel about Facebook in general. But it's not like I can just delete my account - I still like it, and it's my only way of staying in contact with certain people. I've just got to keep in mind that there's more to Facebook than just profiles and statuses (like being "wired in" to the whole thing really seems... well, for lack of a better word, weird). If only it were that simple...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...