Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dreams, Doctors, and Shoes

So I had this bizarre dream the other night that I simply can't get out of my head: My parents were driving me, through Scotland (I think) for a reunion with the people on my Scotland trip at some church in the countryside, surrounded by graveyards. I went into the church and started talking to some of the students. We then took this tour about the building and I noticed something odd about all of the people there. They were all kind of monotoned, glassy-eyed, and barefoot. I wandered into the gift shop and started talking to the woman who worked there. She was pregnant and apparently everyone working there believed her baby was super important. I got this weird feeling that her baby wasn't normal, that it was a ghost baby or something, and I was kind of weirded out. I had this sense that this church was like the Hotel California - "you can check out any time you like; but you can never leave" - and that something was binding people to this place. And that the ghost baby was a huge part of this. Then the Doctor - 10th regeneration, aka David Tennant - walks into the shop and begins talking to the woman. She starts trying to play some sort of Jedi mind trick on him and make him forget his reasons for coming and to make him the way she is - barefoot and glassy-eyed and trapped in this place. He starts to slip away into this weird twilight world of theirs, but he's able to fight it off and I help him escape, although he somehow loses a shoe in the process. So we're walking down a street that looks similar to one I walked down in Glasgow, and he's telling me how he's a Time Lord and how he's come there to free these people from whatever has made them work for this ghost that possesses this church, all the time we're walking down this cobbled street and I'm wondering if his bare, shoeless foot is getting cold. I agreed to help him and told him he had fantastic hair. And then I woke up.

I seriously don't know what to make of this. I mean, my dreams tend to be rather complex. But this was like half a TV episode or something. And damn, it felt so REAL.

My dreams are beginning to feel realer. What the heck does THAT mean? All I've got is this quote from Audrey Niffenegger in my head: Maybe I'm dreaming you. Maybe you're dreaming me; maybe we only exist in each other's dreams and every morning when we wake up we forget all about each other. I feel like this quote captures why I have such an interest in dreams (and why I continue to talk about mine here). I feel like there's something more to them than just random brain spasms and jumbling of stuff at the end of the day. I'm not saying that, as I sleep, I'm starring in episodes of Doctor Who or solving crimes or planning out epic movie or novel plots. I'm not saying my dreams make sense or have some sort of integral meaning. I just think they're really interesting and cool to ponder.

And I'm concerned as to whether the Doctor ever gets his shoe back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...