Thursday, October 13, 2011

Google, I have underestimated you...

Again, technology has proven to me that I should never, never NEVER judge it only by face value.

Take Blogger (run by Google) for example. The entity that it is and I have had a long string of miscommunications. Such as not telling me that I could update Blogger and do cooler things with my blog until I'd already complained about it for two weeks and resulted in me looking like an idiot. And then I tried using Google Chrome, only to find that it did nothing different than Firefox. And then I've had a million little squabbles with Gmail, because my university email system runs on Google and it doesn't cooperate and...

*Sigh*... It's not really Google's fault... technology is just complicated. But don't you think, Google overlords, some things could be made a little simpler?

But then today.... ah, today. I discovered that Google has some pretty awesome capabilities that make my life as a culture vulture much easier. They are as follows:

1) Google Image Searches just got badass: You can now search BY images. You can drag it into the search box and it will guess what you're looking for. TRY IT. It makes me feel like a 21st century techno-nerd. And finally I can figure out what the hell these random images I've stumbled across online are.

2) Google trends: Find out what hot searches are (today's top five are Seal Beach CA, David Ortiz, Texas Rangers, Danielle Chiesi, and Ellen Degeneres Show). Also find a way to drag into your website people for no reason other than the fact you mentioned something you searched for (hey, it's working pretty well on the post with the Nicholas Cage vampire photo. If you were looking for the photo and got directed here, sorry about that. Isn't Google just a blast? :P)

3) Google Zeitgeist: Okay, admittedly, this kept freezing on my computer, but it's supposed to show you how cultural trends were searched over the course of the year across the globe. Like it can show you a graphic of how many people searched about information regarding the South Africa World Cup and which countries searched it the most. It's pretty cool - if you can get it to work.

This being said, I am now having trouble getting comment boxes to appear on my blog after changing the format. I select that comments should be allowed and Blogger immediately forgets I've done it. So, what have we learned about technology today, children? It's complicated, it's wonderful, it's trying my patience, and we couldn't live with out it. Now to see if I can finally get those comment-y things to work right...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...