Wednesday, October 26, 2011

O Captain, My Captain

Disclaimer: This is NOT a blog post about Torchwood.

Shit... well, it is now. Can't bring up Captain without this flashing through my mind:


Okay, well, this WASN'T supposed to be a post about Torchwood. This is a post about Captain America (sorry for those of you who thought it was about a Walt Whitman poem. Better luck next time).


I realize now how many superhero movies I've seen this summer. Granted, there were a lot in theaters. But I saw A TON of them. I watched The Green Hornet on the flight to Scotland because it was something to do when I couldn't sleep and it had Christoph Waltz in it (other than Waltz, the movie was a disappointment). I saw X Men: First Class in Glasgow on our last day there (James McAvoy AND Michael Fassbender in the same film? WIN.) I saw The Green Lantern with a bunch of high school friends in the 'burbs. I did NOT see Thor but had how excellent the actor's abs were described to me about fifteen million times.

I was skeptical about Captain America. "A super-human created to defeat the Nazis? Isn't that defeating the purpose?" I thought (upon voicing this opinion to [X], an apparent comic book fan - which was news to me, yet another sign I don't know my friends much anymore - I got abrupt awkward silence. Oops). They actually carried that quite well by stressing that Steve Rogers is not a bully and the scientists are not trying to create a superior race of beings; they're just trying to win the war and help a guy do what he wants to do with his life, more or less.

Overall, the film was totally enjoyable. It was weird seeing Hugo Weaving (you know him as Agent Smith in The Matrix or Elrond in Lord of the Rings) play Red Skull, because it felt a bit like he was trying to channel Christoph Waltz's Hans Landa. At least until he was got all evil and red and... skull-ish. Chris Evans, though not the best of actors, was a pretty great Captain America (and buff, I must add; he ought to be after he had to take steroids to beef up that much). I freaking loved Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) (because who doesn't love a badass 1940s British chick?). I had no idea until like five minutes ago that THAT WAS STANLEY TUCCI PLAYING THE GERMAN SCIENTIST (Dr. Abraham Erskine). HOLY SHIT, DUDE.

I was, however, kind of disappointed in the ending. Because it was all building up for The Avengers film, which I totally expected, but still left me bummed out and feeling all sad and blue for poor Peggy and Captain America's relationship. Being frozen and discovered sixty years later certainly puts a damper on your love life. I'm looking really forward to The Avengers movie now, though, because I fricken' love Iron Man and Captain America is pretty awesome too. And Captain America had a nice dash of Howard Stark, which was fantastic. Gotta love the Starks.


So yeah. Thank you, Marvel, for making your superhero movies better than they were a few years ago. I congratulate you. I may still be partial to Batman, but because I can only watch Christopher Nolan's dark flicks for so long before feeling rather grim and angsty, I'm glad there's another superhero franchise where things are tending to be... a bit on the brighter side of life, you might say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...