Monday, October 24, 2011

Romancing the Novel

So there's this thing called NANOWRIMO, which stands for National Novel Writing Month. It happens every November and, what crazy people do, is try to write a full-length novel in 30 days. No rereading. No proofing. No going back and changing stuff. Just straight-out plowing ahead, no matter how terrible it is.

I've tried it before, but have never succeeded in meeting the mark. This year, however, [Львица]and I are bringing back our game plan from last year. And this time I'm going to try and see it out.

In our desperation to make some dough, [Львица], [mind ninja] and I decided we would try out hand at Harlequin romance novel writing. It may not be very prestigious or totally estimable, but hey - it'd be published and we'd have some extra moolah. I gave up early on, mainly because my novel got too serious and too Jane Eyre wanna-be. [Львица] had difficulty getting into hers, but [mind ninja] did really well, at least until [novel killer] and [X] declared that her main character sounded exactly like herself and that one of the men was clearly a friend of ours [mind ninja] had had a bad encounter with. So thus things started falling apart after that.

This year, though, no rookie mistakes. So what if I've never been in a romantic relationship ([X] and [novel killer]'s biggest objection to our attempts)? If you've ever read a romance novel, clearly reality is NOT an important part of the plot. I am not going for greatness, I'm not even going for okay.

I'm going to try to write the worst romance novel EVER. Knowing me, I think I can do it. Tacky, cheesy, ridiculous - I'll pile it mile high. Of course, Harlequin probably won't accept it. But it'll be entertaining. That's for sure.

More about this to come. But for now, time to think of a ridiculous title. I'm thinking "Courted in a Kilt." Ah yes... the absurdity of this is just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...