Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Men blah blah blah Women blah blah blah

This is the first thing I saw on Facebook this morning, from a guy I met on the Scotland trip:

[manly-metro]: My man movie script is complete {a whole slew of guys are tagged, including [No-Mr-Darcy]} and assorted others let's film this bad boy soon. Please and thank you.

Then, this afternoon:

[No-Mr-Darcy]: a freshmen ran half way across the mall to shake my hand and tell me i was awesome. Why? BECAUSE I WAS WEARING A KILT! >:D MUHAHAHAHA!

And this followed, commented on as "sad but sexy." I have no idea what's going on here, but considering the prior status, I felt it related.


For some reason, all of this makes me mad as hell. Probably because it's all the evidence I need that I don't understand men. I just don't I mean, what in God's name is a "man movie script"? Not to sound like a totally crazy feminist (though I am probably both totally crazy and a feminist) but aren't a lot of movies written by men? What, pray, makes it a "man movie?" And the kilt... God, the kilt. I knew he owned a kilt. I knew he wore it to the Ren Fest, though I'm blanking as to whether he said he'd worn it at school. I learned while in Scotland, in a kilt shop, that he isn't actually Scottish. And this Facebook stuff proves that his infatuation with the kilt is as intense as [X] said it was. I'm flabbergasted, actually... I mean, I kind of thought that [X ]was being over the top. Then I have to remind myself she goes to school with him. She would know. But seeing it... God, seeing it. I mean, the school he goes to is proudly known as a nerd school, so this wouldn't be totally bizarre. But... but... I have no words.

I can't decide if this makes everything better or worse. Better, because now I don't feel so upset about things not working out (actually, I don't feel upset at all. Much better, actually... I don't care if that makes me a bitch; I'm just going to be outright honest here - I have serious issues with a guy who wears full kilt attire AND ISN'T ACTUALLY SCOTTISH. And brags about it). And worse because I was actually legitimately attracted to this guy and now, seeing this (and still thinking he's a little bit attractive) I just feel...embarrassed, embarrassed for both him and me. And I feel bad about thinking [X] was just saying stuff because she didn't like him. Maybe I'm beginning to see why... Which is painful to admit. Shit.

The whole "proving manliness" thing is just too much for me, though. I mean, WHY? Why do some men do it? Like, half the bromance between [No-Mr-Darcy] and [bromandawg] was showing how manly they were. I just don't understand... women don't go around bragging how feminine they are. Okay, I guess we've got high-heels to do that, but whatevs. We show that we're both feminine and manly and WE DON'T BRAG ABOUT IT. Seriously, you think anyone gets all excited when girls do physical labor on their job, then get all gussied up for their night on town? No, because that's normal for us. We don't consider the work we do manly. It's just the work we have to do. But then, suddenly, certain things are so manly, like grilling and working with hardware and kicking ass. And then men make a big deal out of doing them. And then we women get all confused because we like, "You've always done that. We should be making a big deal about the fact that we CAN use power tools and people don't judge us." Seriously, what are they trying to do? Reclaim their manliness? You know, if you guys lost it, it's not my problem. And simply put, I don't care. You should be comfortable with yourself, not trying to show how awesome you are, because that seems to signal you're compensating for something. It's not manliness we're looking for; it's strength. Someone strong enough to put up with our shit and still care about us. Someone strong enough to figure out the things we don't know - and because we're women, if we don't know it, it's gonna be really tough... just kidding ;) Someone with character strong enough to withstand our worst and our best. And someone who's strength in trust with us is so great that he's not afraid for us to see him cry. I know it sounds like we're asking for a lot (well, maybe I'M asking for a lot; I don't speak for all women of course. I just feel this is what a lot of women happen to be looking for in a partner, male or female) but really it's very simple. We just need you to understand us :) But sooooo much easier said than done... Especially if being manly is really what makes certain men who they are. Then maybe the fault is all mine for falling for the wrong guy. Alas. Well, better luck next time for both of us, [No-Mr-Darcy]. Better luck and godspeed.
What men think women want

What women actually want

So how do we work this out? This guy doesn't know... and neither do I  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...