Thursday, August 18, 2011

Things I'm still right about, Part 2

1) One should not presume that, when I met [no-Mr-Darcy] on a trip with a different college, that leaving my campus was the key to meeting a guy. Saying something along the lines of, "See, all you had to do was get away from school" (not the exact words; I don't recall exactly what she said) when the person in question goes to a school of less than 2,000 and I attend a school of over 60,000 seems a bit odd. Perhaps said individual (okay, okay, so it's X) simply meant that it's easier to meet people in a smaller group. I doubt that's what she meant - she always complained how all the guys at her school were the same. Considering I had just been talking about an embarrassing crush I had at school on someone several years older than me a few days prior to this conversation and X seems to think I have an authority figure complex, it seems the implication fell more around the lines of "When you're at school, you fall for the same type of guy. You did it in high school, you did it this year. You're not going to find a guy when you're in school, because you have an authority complex. But this is an abroad trip - you're not in school mode. However, I did awkwardly warn you that the male professor on this trip is a slut and will continue to mention it at random opportune times, just in case you got any ideas. So go for someone your own age for once, even though I'm totally not going to be supportive later."

Okay, okay, so I'm being stupid and bitter about this and reading WAY too much into one little thing she said. But the way she said this was... not exactly blase. No idea why this conversation popped into my head today. It just did and I suddenly remembered how offended I was by it. Maybe this is something I am not right about, but whatever. I am right in thinking that I feel much better after venting this :P

2) I'm not convinced that J. J. Rousseau is a hipster. Have you ever met a hipster who just dumped his kids off in an orphanage and never looked back? And who is sexist? I thought hipsters were quite a bit more socially liberal than that. I also cannot see Rousseau on a bike. End of story.

3) While Rousseau is not a hipster, I'm pretty sure this guy is:


3 comments:

  1. OMFG I THOUGHT YOU MEANT THAT SHE ACTUALLY SAID THIS:

    "When you're at school, you fall for the same type of guy. You did it in high school, you did it this year. You're not going to find a guy when you're in school, because you have an authority complex. But this is an abroad trip - you're not in school mode. However, I did awkwardly warn you that the male professor on this trip is a slut and will continue to mention it at random opportune times, just in case you got any ideas. So go for someone your own age for once, even though I'm totally not going to be supportive later."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And is that who I think it is?! L-O-FUCKING-L!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, she didn't actually say that - thank God. And yes, that is who you think it :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...