Saturday, August 13, 2011

Why i-Tunes is stealing my soul

So I was in the car with [Львица] and the French exchange student who is visiting to her family when a song came on the iPod hooked up the the car's radio. It sounded like Keane, it had to be Keane - the lead singer has a pretty recognizable voice and I have a crap-ton of their music on my own iPod, so I'd like to think I'd be able to recognize them. But I'd never heard the song before. "Is this off of a new album?" I asked [Львица]. "It's off 'Perfect Symmetry.'" Strange, I thought. I have that entire album on my i-Pod but I don't recognize this song.

That would be because that song wasn't on the album when I bought it. See, I bought it in old-school format, solid CD at a local store. And it only has 11 tracks on it, instead of 12, which is what iTunes offered. Fortunately for me, there was ANOTHER version of 'Perfect Symmetry' in the store, a deluxe version that had the song I wanted (as the standard version on iTunes had that song as "album only").

For one thing, this is way too complicated - three versions of one CD, one of which isn't even available on i-Tunes. And another, why in the world would I continue buying actual CDs when I can download them off of iTunes for cheaper, faster and I can get more songs for less money? Plus I don't have to worry about the CDs cluttering up my room (like they are right now). So sorry, record industry - if you're going to continue making this confusing, I'm just going to buy off of iTunes, where I can easily compare records and make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck.

By the way, the song I downloaded, "Time to Go" - is fantastic, the best on the album. I haven't the foggiest idea WHY it wasn't on the one I purchased - glad I heard it on [Львица]'s iPod or I'd really be missing out. Give it a listen if you've got the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...