Sunday, August 28, 2011

Nine o'clock feminist

So I'm all moved in to my apartment (well, temporary apartment; we're right next door to the actual one) and I'm sitting here on [Львица]'s bed on Facebook and I see this from [manly metro]:


Seeing this, I don't know whether to agree or to be offended. Yeah, men and women should be equals. But asking out guys DOESN'T WORK. I tried it. I DON'T actually want a guy to show me his abs. I don't like video games OR shopping. It didn't help while watching this that I recalled [X] saying that [no-Mr-Darcy] didn't like feminists.Thus I was not surprised when he "liked" this video that his friend posted. But something bothered me about this (other than the "should I be offended?" vibe I got from this video. Something much more self-centered and ego-centric (yes, I know that means the same thing. It's called emphasis. Duh).

What if [no-Mr-Darcy] has found my blog? What if he has discovered all the crazy things I've been saying? What if he's found out that I've insulted him beyond measure? It's a risk I knew I was taking, but still...

What if, more accurately I'm sure, he probably doesn't give a shit, so this is all needless worrying. But if he has - if you have found this (and you know who you are) tell me, 'kay? Because I'm upset for good reason. And if you don't understand why, maybe we should talk about it. Because even though things are totally done on this front, maybe next time around you can be better prepared. Yes, you may think me a callous bitch, but you know what? I'm not the only one who's going to think this way and at least I didn't intentionally hurt you by blogging about this - I wrote it because I want men to understand that women are not just emotional flakes. We're not playing with you. We're just as nervous as you and if we don't get the support we need, we're going to freak out, just as you would (but probably not in the same way). I'm not trying to be a bitch. I'm being me. And if you don't like - well, too bad.

New rule, along with the no self-depreciating stuff. No more about this whole debacle, unless it really drives home a cultural point. No more words on the topic, for his sake and mine. I've made a clean start of my living quarters; let's make a clean start for my heart and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...