Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Socks are forever

So I just had my final flute lesson this morning with my private instructor (whom I'll call [Mickie]) and I'm not tearing up any more (okay, I just did...crap), so I'm going to write about it. I've known [Mickie] since sophomore year of high school, when I switched instructors because things weren't working out with the previous guy. [Mickie] is a middle school band instructor and one of the most positive-thinking people I know. When she lost her job this year due to budget cuts, she tried not to let it get her down and was her usual bubbly self during lessons, encouraging me to play with more emotion and expression and helping me feel comfortable doing something that always used to terrify me - playing in front of people. I'm one of those musicians that don't really like people watching them; I'd rather play in a private room where no one can see or hear me. But at the same time I want people to hear me play... it's a Catch 22.

But I've gotten to the point where I don't feel intimidated by others watching, I don't constantly worry about them judging me (even if my grandmother did say my playing was just "pretty good" - even though I've been studying flute for eight years). Music has solidly become part of my life, a very special part of my life, greatly due to the hours I've spent practicing for lessons and the encouragement and lightheartedness [Mickie] has expressed during our sessions. I've learned a lot of things about music and interesting little playing tips (like using cigarette paper to keep the keys from getting sticky - it really works!). Also, we have a lot in common and we share the same birthday - the first person I've ever met that has; thus we have formed a unique teacher-student friendship.

But after five years (five years! I can hardly believe it!) it's time to say good-bye. I'm busy with college, she's starting at a new school and no longer doing lessons from home. But that doesn't mean too much has to change. Yes, I won't see her every week and I will totally miss her. And I hate goodbyes (thus the over-emotional tears that are pouring down my face right now). But I'm friends with her on Facebook (yay for modern technology) and I'm still going to practice all the time (much to the dismay of the people in my apartment building, I'm sure). I've learned more from playing music than I really have studying much of anything else. So while I gave [Mickie] the parting gift I bought - socks, because she loves bright, fun-looking socks (since she hates wearing them) - I felt sad, but also happy at how far I've come studying music and how glad I am to have had [Mickie] as my teacher. Two things are forever - music, and socks :D

1 comment:

  1. "...weren't working out with the previous guy." You make it sound like he was gay or something... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...