Friday, August 19, 2011

Starstruck

To continue the post from yesterday, on things that make me happy...

5) Awesome sexy actors: So I'm going to sound like a ridiculous fan girl but I can't help it. I'm a cinephile, I'm a girl and I'm an American - we love our movie stars. And yet none of my favorite actors are American. Or really super famous. Or people my friends would have at the top of their "list.” I'm too disorganized to have a real list. Especially as my favorite movies have fluctuated a lot of the years. It seems to have stabilized after college. And now that I have favorite movies, I've finally advanced to having favorite actors. This sounds weird, but I just never really equated actors and hotness until I was probably… fifteen. Yeah. I know. I went to Catholic school, several different Catholic schools – that’s the only thing I can think of that delayed that realization. I mean, I didn’t know who the Spice Girls were until Spice World was already out and everyone had seen it twenty times, because no one at my old school were talking about them. Or maybe I was just a very unobservant, un-culture vulturey youth. Thus why I've berated myself for being a freak; I am not – I’m just different. Stubbornly different.

Yet I feel sort of petty doing this, which I shouldn't – people do this all the time. People magazine’s most popular issues is probably that “100 hottest men alive” or whatever it’s called (but why do they only do an issue about men? What about women? Are their readers only straight women and thus they don’t want to reach out to a different demographic? Oops, random tangent). Yet I feel like by saying these guys are hot I'm saying I only like them because I think they are attractive - and because I have never met them. Thus reviving the epic battle between which is more important, talent, personality, or looks. But why can’t you have all three? All I can say is, watching one of these guys is a great way to ignore being pissed off at a guy you actually know (yeah, fuck you, subconscious - I refuse to play your stupid game!)




Hot... hotter... this page is now on fire

Now that I totally can't focus with these three very talented men judging me, everything I'm going to say it just going to sound like fan girl gushing. Thus why I should probably never work in Hollywood (unlikely that I ever could, but I would totally love to be a props master on set - or what ever the equivalent title is for cinematic things, since I feel like that refers more to theater. But c'mon, wouldn't it be fantastic to be the guy who's like, "Here, Russel Crowe, here's your sword. En garde!" Or, "Why yes, Colin Firth, I did see Love Actually. We can chat later; you're needed on set." Or "Duh, Paul Bettany, of course you were perfectly casted in Master and Commander. Did I tell you I'm working on set for the sequel?" How exactly one goes about doing that for a living, I haven't a clue...). But right, like I could work in Hollywood, because if Ewan McGregor walked up to me and was like, "Hi, do you know where my hat went?" I'd probably start screaming or pass out. Or just die. And as if I could be that casual around Russel Crowe. I'm not even that casual around some of my own family. And it certainly doesn't help that Russel Crowe is my mother's absolutely most favorite actor of all time, period (along with being an Academy Award winner. And brilliant). So, you know, no pressure to make a good impression or anything.

However, a friend of mine, [novel killer], is planning on working in the movies. Or, according to her actions, IS working in the movies in the future. I will say nothing on this; I dare not tread upon anyone's dreams - I have plenty fantastical ones myself and I get pissed when people doubt the realistic chances of them. But the way [novel killer] talks about celebrities is like no one else I've ever met. When my other friends talk about actors and actresses, it's like they live in a different world we'll never quite inhabit. Yeah, it's fun to think about meeting them but I don't think we ever really BELIEVE that it's possible. [novel killer] does. She's told me that she can't imagine taking Lady Gaga seriously and that she'll refuse to have certain actors in her movies. "When I work with so-and-so..." is how she speaks of things, rather than "if I work with so-and-so." But maybe that's the difference you need. Maybe what I see as ego is really what it takes to make it as a director. Maybe [novel killer] really will be working in Hollywood and I'll be a hobo-ing it up across Minneapolis. Who knows.

Then again, maybe I really will be finding Ewan McGregor his hat. And not passing out. The first step is believing I can...and finding out what the hell that job is actually called...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...