Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hipster Attack

So within the span of five minutes this morning, I saw two stories related to hipsters. One from my father: Hipsters are Abandoning Obama. Interesting. Am I right in seeing that this article seems to be saying that hipsters are abandoning Obama because he's "too mainstream?" Or is that my personal judgment of hipsters coming in? (even though I sort of claim to be one... ah, the paradox that is my life)

The other story I saw prior to this article on, where else, Facebook, from [manly-metro]: Minnesota named 'Most Hipster State in the US', to which [manly-metro] commented on his link:
"FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The vibe I was getting was that he really doesn't like hipsters. Especially when one girl commented "*proud* :p" and he called her "bad" for saying that. Right... Okay, [manly-metro], here's one for you: would you rather be known as the most hipsters state in the US or the state that elected A PRO WRESTLER as governor? Oh, you think that's manly? How about the state that gave us MICHELE BACHMAN? I'm guessing you don't like her much. Many college students don't. But may I show you what some people think of hipsters and other college students? This is a comment from the article about hipsters abandoning Obama:


They are what Glenn [Glenn Beck I would assume... ah, the things I could blog about him...] called “Useful Idiots” that were misled by their college professors into thinking that progressive-humanism is glamorous and will do good for all with communist/marxist skewed delusional end result thats not reality!!! Americans in their 40′s and older have seen the evil and impoverishing effects in their reality that has been hidden from these sheltered punks!!! The look on their face when they find out they‘ve been deceived would be quite satisfying if we weren’t all in misery with them! Sometimes I believe that God is going to give us a good as* kicking so that us free Americans can see how blessed we have been and to teach us a lesson we won’t forget for generations!!!
Um... wow. This guy is both right and so very, very wrong. Yes, some college students are misleading. But to say ALL are is a huge mistake. My professors, for instance, are very good about showing both sides. And the bit about sheltered punks... ouch, man. Just ouch. Yes, I have led a very sheltered life. But I'm an adult too and I know it isn't easy. I see that from my mom and my dad's jobs plenty. And may I remind you, sir or madam, that when 9/11 occurred, I was 11 YEARS OLD. You don't think I know the "evil and impoverishing effects in their reality"? That event devastated me. And I was only eleven! My dad was saying last night how when he was eleven, the biggest thing he had to worry about was whether or not his bike needed repaired. Wow, I was thinking to myself, when I was eleven I was worried about whether or not I was going to get killed by terrorists. Maybe we're not as sheltered as you think. Sure, I've never starved or been homeless. But then, dear commenter, have you?

I hate this sort of thing, being forced to pick sides. Am I going to aline with the hipsters, who are hated by people who don't understand them but are interesting people while being overly critical of "mainstream" things, or am I going to aline with the people who think hipsters are just dumb and silly and screwing things up... and possibly still don't understand them? (but then who does?) Both are right, and both are wrong. I guess I'll have to choose the lesser of two evils... or the lesser of two weevils.


Yes, I just made a Master and Commander reference out of nowhere. So sue me. And because Blogger and I have worked out our difference, I actually got a movie clip from my computer to post. I am amazed at my tech skills today :D

Anyway, back to the issue at hand... Farther down in the comments, I saw this from someone called Trolltrainer:

...We were all “young” once, no matter what generation we belong to. We were finding our way in the world, determining our place in society. We saw things differently than older generations. We had a sense of belonging with those like us, we even had our own words and music and style that no other group could understand. It is not stupid or idiotic…It is life. ...it was not “our” guy and Obama is not “your” guy. We are ALL in the same boat here. The general trend is young adults are more liberal and as you age you become more conservative. That is just the way it works. I used to be a pot smoking hippie, now I am a Bible thumping minister. We never quit growing and learning. I just wanted to tell you these things because I want you to not be guilty of the very thing you warn us against. Do not think your generation is any smarter or better able to lead than older generations. We were all where you are now, and we have grown past it. People are simply individuals. I will not call hipsters, or any other group, idiotic, but don't make the mistake of thinking you are better or smarter than anyone else either.

Thank you, dear Trolltrainer, for making me feel so much better about the world. I could argue with you on the point about people simply being individuals (because I am difficult and that is what I do) but for the most part, I agree with you. So take that, extreme hipster haters. They're just people... we're just people. And I don't have to choose a side... exactly. At least we got that resolved. But wait, am I a hipster? Well, I'll sort out my identity crisis later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...