Friday, September 30, 2011

Kickin' Back With the K

To further my weird artistic tendencies, I've volunteered to work at Radio K, the campus radio station. Not sure what to expect, I rode the freight elevator up to the 6th floor of the theater building where station is located. The moment I walked in, I was surrounded by kind, smiling hipsters. Okay, I can't guarantee they were hipsters, but the seemed to be from that strain of college student. I got a tour from  the guy who I'd emailed about volunteering, talked to the music director, and found myself recording short ads to be aired on the radio. Apparently, I read like a natural. And my Hoosier accent is detectable when I say "darling."


Volunteering was the BEST IDEA EVER. Less than an hour there, and I'm already loving it. It's like being in the movie Pirate Radio (and if you haven't seen this movie, WATCH IT). They have a great program called Culture Queue that I'd love to write for or report on. I can see myself now, becoming just like Studs Terkel... SWEET :D

Really, I joined because I NEED to find something on campus to get involved in. The CSCL association doesn't meet that often and there's just too many psych majors to feel like I belong over there. This is the perfect place to mix my three passions: music, culture, and under-appreciated art forms (in this case, college radio). Of course, it's a resume booster, which is always a plus. Especially due to another hair-brained idea that's returned to me. But more about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...