Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Apples to Apples

I now know that fall is officially here - I ate my first Honeycrisp apple of the season today.

Why is this important? BECAUSE HONEYCRISP APPLES ARE THE BEST FUCKING APPLES I HAVE EVER EATEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. PERIOD.

I'm not actually being over-dramatic. As anyone who's ever eaten one can tell you, they are orgasmic. They'd probably be the apple that Eve ate in the Garden of Eden (all debates about whether apples can grow in the Middle East/ whether the "forbidden fruit" was actually a kumquat or some other vegetation) except that the Honeycrisp apple is one of those wonderful things modern science has created (like the flying saucer-shaped peaches) at none other than the University of Minnesota. But as far as GMOs go, it tastes pretty natural to me. Actually WAY more natural than Red Delicious or even Granny Smith now (seriously, I had a Granny Smith apple over the summer and it had NO flavor. When I was six, they used to be so tart they made my jaw ache. What HAPPENED?!) I mean, Honeycrisp have this great, sweet, juicy flavor and are super-crunchy, as if to announce to everyone around you, "Hells yes, I'm eating a Honeycrisp."

Other than being super fantastically delicious, they are also one of the few things in the produce section that only appear during certain times of the year. Thus, it's seasonal, local and fucking delicious. And special, because I can't just walk into Cub Foods in March and find it there.

So it's time to eat as many of this babies as I can to fully express the season that is autumn. I'm thinking of trying that baked apples recipe from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution cookbook - I made those this summer with the gross Granny Smiths and they were AMAZING. WITH BAD APPLES. Imagine what it would taste like with these suckers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...