Thursday, September 29, 2011

What am I doing with my life?

First things first: HOLY SHIT IT'S WINDY OUT. REALLY REALLY REALLY WINDY. I don't think I've gotten my hair so mussed up or dirt in my teeth since that crazy windy day in Glasgow.

Whoa, flashback.

Anyway, now to attend to other matters. Like this article I came across in the Minnesota Daily: Doctorate At Age 18?

Yeah...

AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD IS DOING PSEO. I'M NEARLY TWICE HIS AGE AND I'M NOT EVEN DONE WITH UNDERGRAD AND THEY SAY HE COULD HAVE A PhD BY 18???!!!

I'm sorry for the excess of caps. I mean, I admire the kid, that's incredible. But did he have an actual childhood? Does he go home and watch Spongebob at the end of the day like I did when I was eleven, or does he go home and think about physics and biology? What kind of social life does he have? What is he going to do if he graduates from college AT THE AGE OF FIFTEEN or something?

And because I'm a self-centered individual, I realize that THIS IS WHAT I'M COMPETING WITH. This is who is going to running Microsoft or Google or something while I'm going to be an unemployed hobo with social science/humanities degree because no one cares about that shit anymore.

Me in two years... actually, if this is me in two years, I'm cooler as a hobo
Point is, I feel a little threatened. Okay, I lot threatened. Especially because I'd really like to have a job after college, thanks. If only I'd become a doctor or a scientist or something. Who'd started reading at age 1. BUT NO. I have to be the weird hipster sort who wants to do something artistic but is probably just marginally more intelligent than your average Kardashian (c'mon, they figured how to be famous WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING. They aren't that stupid).

Anyone else getting this feeling that science and technology fields are taking over universities? (I want to point out that I'm NOT slamming science and technology. I just, as a humanities sort, feel like all the funding is going to research labs. And not education. Wow, this got strangely political. Sorry about that. Actually, no, I'm not sorry. This deserves more than a parenthetical statement, but that will have to come later). Anyone else sick of everyone assuming that they want to become a doctor or a lawyer or something? 'Cause I sure am.

You know what'd be awesome? If this kid pulled a complete 180 and became a brilliant poet or singer-songwriter. Or James Franco. That would make my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...