Monday, September 12, 2011

It was a Tuesday, but I don't remember that now...

Ten years. It's been ten years since 9/11. I feel almost required to make a post about the anniversary, but I don't feel pressured to do so - I want to. That day was a nightmare for me, not because I knew anyone in New York or DC, not because I understood what was happening, but because it firmly drew the line for the end of my childhood, as if someone had taken a bit of rope and slashed it in half. [Львица] mentions repeatedly how it's incredibly how everything, EVERYTHING has changed because of that event. "It's our JFK," she says. It's true. It's that one tragedy that you remember forever and have a hard time acknowledging how long ago it actually happened.  It blows my mind that the children who are 10 years old now were just infants when it happened. They don't remember it, but they're learning about it, via the TV, their parents, school. It's weird for me to think that this event is history... but it is. How is it being taught? How is it being remembered? What does it mean to someone who is the same age as me when it happened but is learning about it ten years later?

I don't know the answers. I only know my own experiences. I write this post today instead of yesterday because I simply couldn't write it on the anniversary. All of my thinking about the even happened after the 11th, and that's still how I seem to operate. I can talk about it any day that isn't 9/11. But when it's the anniversary, I get all shook up and teary-eyed and little paralyzed with fear. I don't want to talk about it, I don't want to think about it. It's like I remember 9/11 on everyday it happened... except the anniversary. Then I don't want to think about, if only because it's the only way I feel I can pay proper respect to those who dies. Besides, 9/11 was the most unsuspecting of days, a day like any other.  It's anniversary is now no longer that way and perhaps why it's easier for me to write about it on an average day (not that any of the days following the 11th felt average in 2001). Everything has changed and we're still dealing with the changes. The most important thing is to see how far we've come. Did I think that 10 years later I'd be writing my own blog, in college, with my own apartment? Not at all - I didn't even know what college was then. It blows my mind how much has changed. What will things be like another ten years? Fifteen? Twenty? Who knows? Only time, our great friends and our great enemy, will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...