Friday, September 16, 2011

A man who wanted to sing in church was wondering if he should inquire...

I must have a flashing sign on my forehead that says, "Talk to me about religion!" I think I've gotten accosted more times on campus in the past few months than any other time in my life. The Mormons approached me last spring, then last week I got asked twice to join a Bible study, the second proposal within seconds of the last.

Then on Tuesday I was approached by two people, who seemed to be about my age, both of Asian heritage. They began talking to me about religion and I had no idea how to get them to stop - talking about religion always makes me a bit uncomfortable, especially in public, especially considering my unorthodox views. But on they went, and suddenly I found they were describing a sect of Christianity that believed that God was represented as both God the Father and God the Mother. That's right, there's a FEMALE version of God. I was suddenly totally intrigued. Curious, and ever the absorber of anything possibly interesting when it comes to culture, I arranged to meet them again on Wednesday.

Except I was majorly disappointed. No feminist teachings. No discourse on how God is both a man and a woman. Instead, we plowed through the end of Revelations and the two missionaries, of sorts, described how the Bible predicted World War II, how a fig tree represents Israel, and how Passover is the only way to receive the "seal of God" and thus truly become one of God's own and thus not be harmed in whatever terrible travesty is coming next. I'm not saying it wasn't interesting - it totally was. Especially as this group is Christian but practices Passover and believes Saturday is the true Sabbath. It was just not what I was expecting. They weren't trying to convert me - exactly. They weren't trying to say I was wrong - exactly. They weren't saying all the Jews were going to hell - exactly. But all the things they didn't say worried me more then the things they did. How did their church get created? How exactly do they worship? Who is their minister/priest/leader of mass in this institution? Why did I have to ask to get the name of their church? It's just a bit strange. And it's beginning to feel like I attract weirdness, like a madness. A bit like this... As Max Bialystock says, "They come here, they all come here. How do they find me?"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...